Inspired by Jess’ blog post. I remember song roulette type of things being around way back when Myspace was a thing. Here we go:
1. Losing My Religion by R.E.M – Damn this song. I wrote about this song briefly in a previous post about songs that hit me in the feels…. if you ever question your sexuality then this is the song to listen to.
2. El Tigeraso by Maluca -Heard this song at a teen club when I was 16 and danced with this cute guy who did a lot of spin moves.
3. F.C.P.S.I.T.S.G.E.P.G.E.P.G.E.P. by The Fall of Troy – I like this song but as I listen to it I cant remember any type of moment relating to it.
4. San Fernando Rose by Killola – “SHOULD HAVE BROKE YOUR FACE WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE” Regret, regret, and more regret. This is what this song makes me think of, all the stupid shit that has occurred, and how I regret it all. (They don’t have a video on Youtube, but they do have a soundcloud where you see me commenting out awesome the song is )
5. Ohio Is For Lovers by Hawthorne Heights – I really despised my mother in middle school. We did not get a long at all. I was constantly getting yelled at and she would constantly put who ever she was dating before my sister and I. This song reminds me of being 12 years old and wanting to jump off of the balcony. I swear I wanted to be emo so bad.
6. Team by Lorde – Pure Heroine is an album of gold. I recommend the entire album. I like this song but I can’t relate to it, I’ve never felt a part of anything. Despite that, I love this song and the album. Speaking of album, when the hell is she coming out with another one? IT’S BEEN 3 YEARS
7. Starships by Nicki Minaj – This is probably one of her worst songs. But when I go through my workout phases I always have this song on my playlist because it is upbeat.
8. Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm – This song brings me back to the 8th grade when I would cruise on limewire to find music to download. I love when rock band do cover songs of pop & hip hop. It’s my aesthetic.
9. Only by Nicki Minaj featuring Drake, Lil Wayne and Chris Brown – “Let it soak in like seasoning.” This song is fire. This is the Damn Daniel of hip hip songs so far… I may listen to it two more times. Since I do not listen to the radio, I didn’t discover this song until a good three or four months after the radio played it out. Lil Wayne’s verse is kind of weak though, when he starts rapping I get distracted because it’s bad.
10. Warning by Nicki Minaj – This is old school Nicki Minaj, before she was famous, and when she was releasing videos on YouTube. It’s a good remake of Warning by Notorious B.I.G.
11. Views by Drake – I love everything by Drake. (Couldn’t find the song anywhere but Spotify and I don’t like Spotify)
12. Runaway by Kanye West featuring Pusha T – I first heard this song in 2013, three years AFTER it came out. I really like Kanye West, I know he’s controversial but his music is good, especially his older songs. This song reminds me of my mothers boyfriend, I swear it’s his anthem.
13. Lemon Eyes by Meg Myers – I’ve been playing this song a lot lately. Meg Myers has a lot of talent and eventually I want to try and find more songs by her. The song reminds me of how possessive I can be with people and how it’s a bad trait.
14. Anywhere by 112 featuring Lil’ Zane – I love 112, old school R&B is good to listen to on dates. I remember my uncle was singing this on the phone to a girl he liked. It totally ruined the song for me and I just laugh when I hear it.
15. Crystalized by T. Mills – 9th grade I think? or 10th? I don’t remember 100% but my sister got me into the song.
16. Don’t Forget by Demi Lovato – 10th grade. First time I broke up with Lee. Fuck you Lee.
17. Snake Charmer by Blink 182 – This is from their album Neighborhoods, I am not a fan of that album. But this song came out when I was living in Florida and I was kind of bummed. The album was so disappointing and it freaked me out. At the time I came to the conclusion that, “Welp, this album sucks….and so will my life.”
18. Pens and Needles by Hawthorne Heights – Middle school was ruled by the same 4 bands. Hawthorne Heights, My Chemical Romance, Thirty Seconds to Mars, and Blink-182. This song played so much on my old iPod way back then. I was such an emotional tween.
19. Can I Get a Hit by Cypress Hill – Stoner music. Enough said.
20. So Gone by Monica – This is such a throw back for me. I remember listening to it a lot in elementary school.
21. Roller Coaster by Blink-182 – This band has grown with me throughout the years. What a song by them meant to me at age 13 means something totally different now at 23 years old. When I was 13 this song reminded me of a guy I liked, now at 23 it literally means just life. Life is such a damn Roller coaster, do what you love and who cares about anything else.
22. Maria Maria by Santana featuring The Product G&B – Makes me think of that TV show on Nick Taina. Major oldie on this list.
23. Pressure by Paramore – I played this song a lot when I got my SAT scores back.
24. Womanizer by Britney Spears – I get Britney fever when I drive sometimes. I have an entire playlist of all Britney songs. I’ve always been a Britney fan.
25. The Real Slim Shady by Eminem – My parents never monitored what I listened or watched as a child. So when this song came out when I was at the ripe age of seven, I loved it! I asked my father for the cassette and he bought it for me without batting an eye. I was hooked to Eminem at the tender age of seven.
26. That Was The Worst Christmas Ever! by Sufjan Stevens – 7th grade is when this song was accidentally put on my iPod, I listened to it on Christmas, and it summed up my life. Cause, “Nothing feels right.”
27. Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush – I like Kate Bush, this song doesn’t trigger anything specific for me though. It’s a good pop song though.
28. Feel No Ways by Drake – Every Drake song hits my feels and either reminds me to forget about my ex or why I love my ex. This song reminds me that not everybody is there for you like they said they will. (Does Drake not like youtube? Cause it’s hard to find his songs on there)
29. Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie – This song has been used in every type of commercial and movie trailer. I love it, but its overrated. When I go through my workout phases this is normally on the cool down playlist.
30. Ice Cream Paint Job by Lil Wayne – 11th grade, I remember listening to this mixtape with Kris. I liked it a lot and she bought me the CD. I still have it.
Well, this took me down memory lane. Is there any song on here that reminds you of something or someone? Any song on here that you can’t stand? Let me know!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.